Monday, April 27, 2026

Review: The Complete Persepolis

The Complete Persepolis The Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi
My rating: N/A

Revisiting this now, this hits harder after finding out that Marjane Satrapi died literally a month ago (of heartbreak over losing her husband last year).

I have mixed feelings on rating memoirs as I see them as highly personal and who am I to judge? But overall I really appreciated the insight into what life was like in Iran during Satrapi's childhood and her struggles to reconcile feelings about leaving in adulthood, although the story ends relatively early into that. The childhood chapters highlight the deep intellectual current in Iranian culture and the adults in Satrapi's life, and the loss they experienced with the Revolution. In light of current events even as of this year, even moreso what could have been.

tbh I wasn't as invested in some of the adulthood parts otherwise (life/wanderings in Europe) but understand ultimately that it helps setup the narrative later when she finally returns home and realizes how much she's changed, and why she eventually leaves again.

No comments:

Post a Comment